Junior Elite Athlete Programme & Elite Athlete Programme
The Junior Elite Athlete Programme and the Elite Athlete Programme are the only tailor-made educational programmes offered in Greece for students who combine high academic achievement with top athletic performance.
Along with the provision of high quality educational services, CGS has introduced two innovative programmes, the Junior Elite Athlete Programme (for Junior High School students) and the Elite Athlete Programme (for Senior High School students). The programmes bridge the gap observed in the training of young athletes, who have to compromise their education in order to fulfil their sporting goals.
Through the close collaboration between the academic and athletic faculties of our school, these two personalised programmes have been adopted, giving students of outstanding academic and athletic abilities the opportunity to pursue their dreams.
The pioneering Junior Elite Athlete Programme is based on the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme whereas the Elite Athlete Programme is based either on the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme or on the Greek Senior High school (General Lyceum). Both programmes provide the students with the opportunity to train in their chosen sports on a daily basis and under the supervision of top coaches.
The benefits offered by the Junior Elite Athlete Programme and Elite Athlete Programme include:
- Morning training sessions which are held up to a maximum of 6 hours per week depending on the sport and the age of the participant.
- A flexible curriculum in order to accommodate both training and participation in matches
- Leading coaches and support team consultants
- Courses in techniques, tactics, conditioning , emotional support
- Diet schedule on training days
- Use of the modern CGS facilities
- A modern method of assessing academic and sports performance
- A personalised approach to the monitoring of the academic progress of students
- Guidance and counselling on prospective careers and specializations, universities and countries of study
- Transport to and from the school facilities by school bus
- Head of the programme: Ion Milias, Physical Education teacher, former water-skiing and skiing champion, with over 25 years of administrative and teaching experience at Costeas Geitonas School.
- Basketball: Nikos Boudouris, the prominent international basketball player who has won titles in Greece and Europe.
- Tennis: Christina Zachariadou, Greek champion who ranked no. 180 in the singles and no. 86 in the women doubles.
- Water polo: Angeliki Gerolymou, retired Olympic and World champion, is head of water polo.
- Football: Juventus Soccer Schools coaching staff.
- Triathlon: Vasilis Krommyda, international triathlete.
- Fencing: Nikos Psychas, a Physical Education graduate, an MSc exercise and nutrition teacher and fencing coach with distinctions and medals at world-class European championships as well as at the Youth Olympic Games.