The Provision of Counselling Support Services
The Counselling Support Services at CGS sees to the full development of students’ personalities, the enhancement of their mental and social well-being and the promotion of learning. Concurrently, it aims at comprehensively supporting the collaboration between students’ families and their teachers.
Α1. Counselling Support Services at various class levels:
Primary Prevention Programmes
Experiential activities are created to encourage social and emotional development at all levels of the school, in line with the developmental goals of each age group.
What follows are indicative goals for each year:
- Pre-Kindergarten: Raising the children’s awareness of basic social skills, such as the expression of their needs / desires, aiming at their smooth induction.
- Kindergarten: Learning social skills.
- Pre-Nursery: Sensitization to recognition, expression and the management of key emotions.
- Nursery: Cultivating a healthy self-image. Understanding concepts: uniqueness – diversity.
- Year 1: Experiential games designed for the students to become better acquainted while, at the same time, enhancing team spirit and co-operation.
• Year 2: Becoming acquainted with our emotions: recognition, expression and management of emotions.
• Year 3: Levels of self-image – self-esteem: how I perceive myself – the image which important people in my life have of me.
• Year 4: Training in effective conflict management.
• Year 5: School bullying – information and helpful ways of dealing with it.
• Year 6: Self-image – body image – sex education.
- Year 7: Safe use of the internet: Cyberbullying – Grooming. Uncontrolled Internet usage – Internet addiction.
- Year 8: Identity and Peer Relationships.
- Year 9: Career Guidance.
- A’ Lyceum : Career Guidance meetings. Optional sitting of the Career Gate Test (ΣΕΠ).
• B’ Lyceum : Consolidation of organizational skills and good management of study time.
• C’ Lyceum : Effective management of stress during examinations.
Systematic observations of classroom dynamics are carried out, aimed at facilitating teaching and meeting the students’ psychosocial and learning needs.
Detection of Learning Strengths and Weaknesses
- a) Nursery school
Speech Therapy / Occupational Therapy:
At Nursery school level, preventive speech therapy and occupational therapy sessions are offered to all our students by specialized personnel.
- b) Primary school
- On the completion of Year 2 of the Primary school, a preventive check of learning is carried out on all our students, in collaboration with teachers. It aims to meet the needs of students who require assistance with their learning.
- In Year 3 of the Primary school, the school counsellors take care to identify pupils who may have special educational needs.
A2. The school Counselling Support Services focus on the student
Students are referred to the Counselling Support Services by their teachers, parents or the school management. The Counselling Support Services work with the students’ families, aiming at the most appropriate way of supporting the students.
Detection of learning difficulties
In the event that there are indications of any learning difficulties, the School Counselling Support Services will conduct a comprehensive learning check and, if necessary, external assessment is recommended.
Investigating Emotional Needs
If a psychological profile is required, the School Counselling Support Services does its utmost to detect the emotional needs of the student and recommends appropriate measures. If deemed necessary, external assessment is recommended.