“A different language is a different vision of life.”
“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.”
Foreign Languages Club
In this age of globalization, knowledge of foreign languages is essential for the cultural and social development of man, the broadening of his way of thinking and his familiarization with different nations, environments and cultures.
The CGS Foreign Languages club offers students of all levels the opportunity to learn the languages of their choice in an interactive and pleasant way, as well as to become acquainted with the civilisation, history, culture and everyday life of the peoples with whom they wish to communicate.
The CGS Foreign Languages Club offers courses in English, French, German, Spanish and Chinese.
Some activities of the Foreign Language Club include:
- reading fairy tales and literary books
- creating a school newspaper
- creating and viewing films & watching and performing short plays
- contact with peers from all over the world who speak this particular foreign language
- participation in International Competitions such as the International Francophone Competition, Concours de la Francophonie and competitions organized by the Goethe Institut.
- familiarisation with the traditions of the foreign country through constructions, recipes, short activities which reflect everyday life.
The choice of learning a foreign language, other than those taught in the regular morning programme, is available from Year 3 of the Primary School. However, students have the opportunity to broaden their knowledge of English from Year 5 in the Primary School and of other languages from Year 6 in preparation for foreign language certificates offered by official boards.
By attending the Foreign Languages Club, students can:
- learn one or more new foreign languages.
- extend their knowledge in a language they know.
- prepare for the examinations of foreign language certificates of official educational organizations such as the British Council, the Institut Français d ‘Athènes, the Goethe Institut, Instituto Cervantes, Confucius Institute of Athens by emphasising the four basic skills of linguistic communication: oral and written understanding and oral and written expression.
- develop and improve their contact with the culture, civilisation and countries associated with the languages of their choice.