Taking into account that the first school period is a unique, special time in a child’s life, we rely on the following pedagogical principles:
- Each child is unique and individual, with individual learning mechanisms and rhythms.
- This period has autonomous value and, at the same time, lays the groundwork for later school years.
- Children learn through exploration, play and discussion.
- Learning should aim at the child’s all-round, holistic and balanced development.
- We create an environment that fosters ongoing relationships of safety, trust and understanding.
- In order for children to feel safe, to be allowed to explore and grow, they need the support and security of a positive relationship with the people who care for them.
- Children have a great need for socialization and emotional development.
- Speech development is achieved through discussion, dialogue and oral language activities.
A day in Pre-School
Students experience the unique experience of Baby Swimming, under the guidance of experienced and qualified instructors. In an active oxygen pool, measuring 4.50m x 6.50m x 0.90m, with a constant temperature of 32-34 degrees Celsius, students enjoy the experience of contact with the water and learn to swim. A gentle approach, effortless adaptation through organized play and a well thought-out exercise program, each child can explore the aquatic element in their own time, gaining confidence and knowledge of the basic principles of swimming.
Through their participation in the baby yoga program, students have the opportunity to combine physical exercise with concentration and breathing. The aim of the program is to strengthen muscle function and correct posture, combined with relaxation of the mind. The programme aims to develop basic skills such as flexibility, balance, strength and resilience, as well as practice mental attributes such as a state of calm, cooperation, freedom of expression, the ability to concentrate and creativity.
Guided by the nutritional needs of the children and under the guidance of the school’s nutritionist Elena Paravanti-Hargitt, delicious balanced meals are prepared daily in the school dining hall facilities, using fresh, strictly selected ingredients (no nuts are used). Seasonal vegetables are organic. The weekly menu is composed taking into account the taste preferences of the children, but making sure that the children gradually and effortlessly discover and appreciate all the flavours. There is also a vegetarian menu option for those parents who so desire.
Treats on children’s birthdays or name days are permitted, and we encourage that the content choice be light and healthy. Prefer fruit platters or light sandwiches instead of chocolate or very sweet snacks. Treats containing nuts are not allowed to protect children with allergies.
The food that is not consumed in our school dining hall and canteens is offered to our fellow citizens in need, specifically to the PALLINI SOLIDARITY SHELTER that provides food to 55 families and to the charity organization “PLESION” that distributes food to homeless people in the centre of Athens.